I am a permanent resident and wish to sponsor my fiancée for green card. Can she apply for a K-1 visa?


One must be a U.S. citizen to file for a K-1 fiancé/e visa. As a green card holder, there is no family-based category to sponsor a fiancé/e. But, if you get married, you may file an I-130 petition for your spouse under the family-based, second preference “A” (FB2A) category. (16.Jan.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.