My father is a green card holder and filed a green card case for me a couple of years ago. I was in India at the time, so the case was filed for consular processing. Now, I am in the U.S. as an F-1 student. Can I apply for adjustment of status now?


The fact that the I-130 petition was filed for consular processing would not prevent the beneficiary from instead applying for adjustment of status. However, until the priority date is current, it generally is not possible to file an I-485 application. (19.Oct.2022)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2022, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.