I was born in India and have an I-140 pending in the EB2 category. I recently married a woman who was born in Sri Lanka. Can we file I-485 applications based on her country of birth?


Yes, in most situations, it is possible to be charged against a spouse’s country of birth when applying for a green card. This is known as cross-chargeability. The fact that the marriage took place after the I-140 was filed typically would not impact a person’s ability to use cross-chargeability.  (09.Mar.2023)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2023, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.