I am a U.S. citizen. My mother entered on her tourist visa a few months ago. She was planning on returning home, but I’m trying to convince her to stay in the U.S. If she agrees, can I sponsor her for a green card now? Or would she have to go back to India for me to sponsor her?


A person cannot enter the U.S. on a B-1/B-2 visa with the intention of applying for adjustment of status (i.e., applying for a green card from within the United States). If, however, the person does not form the intention of applying for a green card until after she is admitted in B-1/B-2 status, then yes, it typically is possible for a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years old to sponsor a parent for a green card. Normally, this may be done without the parent having to leave the U.S. (26.Jun.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.