I am a U.S. citizen, and I recently filed a family-based green card case for my sister, who is disabled. Is there a way to expedite the process based on her disability?


It is possible to ask USCIS to expedite an I-130 petition. However, unless there is a compelling reason, the USCIS is likely to deny such a request. More importantly, even if the request is granted, this actually would not resolve your issue.

There is an extensive backlog in the family-based, fourth preference (FB4) category, which is for siblings of U.S. citizens. Until the priority date becomes current, it generally is not possible to use the FB4 case as a basis for being admitted to the United States. If there is a medical need to bring your sister to the U.S., you likely would need to seek out some other means to accomplish this. (27.Nov.2019)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here.

Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2019, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.