I am a U.S. citizen, and my parents are currently visiting from India. They had planned on going home in May, but that has not been possible. Can I sponsor them for a green card now? Does President Trump’s executive order prohibit that?


U.S. citizens normally can apply for their parents’ “green cards” if they are physically present in the U.S. and have been legally admitted. This is done by filing an application for adjustment of status. The rules from the Trump administration, thus far, have had no relevance to applications made within the United States – they have only restricted immigrant visa applications made at U.S. consulates abroad. (15.Jun.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.