My daughter is a U.S. citizen who will turn 21 next year. She lives with me and her father in Singapore. Can she sponsor us for green cards when she turns 21, or does she have to move to the U.S. first?


Generally speaking, a U.S. citizen living abroad may sponsor her parents for green cards when she turns 21, as long as she plans on moving to the U.S. once the immigrant visas are issued. (On occasion, we have seen consulates require the U.S. citizen child to be domiciled in the U.S. before the parents’ immigrant visas will be issued.) (22.Jul.2021)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2021, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.