I got a green card through my employer, and I have a son who is a U.S. citizen by birth. We have decided to move back to India for a few years due to family reasons, which will mean giving up my green card. When my son turns 21, can he sponsor me for another green card?


The fact that you had a green card and then abandoned it typically would not prevent you from being sponsored by your U.S. citizen child for another green card (once the child reaches the age of 21). (13.Mar.2024)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.



Copyright © 2024, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.