My sister is a U.S. citizen. If she sponsors me for a green card, can I use the form I-130 to extend my H1B status beyond the 6-year max?


No, one may not use a pending or approved I-130 petition as a basis to extend H1B status. (20.Jul.2020)

Sheela Murthy and other senior attorneys provide guidance that clarifies the law. For information on our FREE online services, click here. Access more FAQs here.


Copyright © 2020, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: The information provided here is of a general nature and may not apply to any specific or particular circumstance. It is not to be construed as legal advice nor presumed indefinitely up to date.